Visiting Christchurch - What to See and Do
(Christchurch International Airport CHC, New Zealand)
With surfing, dolphin swimming, breweries and vineyards, even skiing in the nearby Southern Alps; Christchurch has much to offer holidaymakers than many worldwide cities. Located on New Zealand's South Island and home to the island's only international airport, Christchurch is the country's third-largest city as well as being the capital of the Canterbury region.
Ten things you must do in Christchurch
- Get up close and personal with one of nature's most fascinating creatures by going swimming with dolphins on the Canterbury coast.
- Sample some of New Zealand's best wine at one of the many vineyards located near the city.
- Stroll along the wide variety of tramping and walking trails scattered throughout the city.
- Spend a day punting along Christchurch's scenic Avon River and watch the city drift lazily by.
- Hit the spectacular slopes of the nearby Southern Alps for an exhilarating day of skiing or snowboarding.
- Soar high above the city and enjoy breathtaking views while on one of the many champagne balloon flights offered in Christchurch.
- Marvel at some of the largest animals on the planet on a whale-watching excursion to the nearby town of Kaikoura.
- Explore Christchurch's excellent array of art galleries and museums including the newly constructed Te Puna o Waiwhetu.
- Check out the Montana Christchurch International Jazz Festival and hear musicians from all over New Zealand and the world.
- Take a trip on the Christchurch Gondola and travel 3,280 feet up to the top of Port Hills for stunning panoramic views.